This is bad. Verry bad.
Every time i make a change to the homepage (or any other page) with your page builder, for example change a column width in a row, i have to cut, sanitize all texts in notepad++ with UTF-8 Encode, and paste again so they can apear correctly and not like than kind of rubish (�Ï�Î¿Ï�Î¼Îµ Î). I need help for this ASAP.
The page builder is at least not user friendly and hard to use. I have to scroll at the top of the page to edit a text block or the form its not visible.
The responsiveness of this theme is a mess as soon as you try to alter the demo content and needs multiple css corrections to work.
I need help ASAP.
Your support is not here?
For the special Characters, you should not directly insert the symbol. You have to use ASCII code to insert.
This is the code: http://www.ascii.cl/htmlcodes.htm
And also, you should use Firefox for the best efficience
It is not special characters its text in another language. This means that your theme works only with pure Latin languages?
What about the problems in the responsiveness of the theme? I checked the demo with my iphone and iPad after sending my last message here, and it has the same issues.
Sorry but your answer does not help at all.
are you willing to fix the page builder and css errors with an update?
Please send us your site's url and admin account and FTP account to [email protected] (also this forum link)
We will check your issue
I will create an admin user and email it to you, but i can't trust you and share my ftp credentials.
I believe that this is not a specific installation issue but a theme issue.
And i think you can understand that i can't wait for your support every time i try to change a text or an image in this site, it makes it useless.
You have to fix this issues in your theme.
If you cant fix it with an update you can also provide instructions on how to fix the problems myself and thats the whole meaning having an open forum support.
We understand your hesitation to give us the FTP account, but we need FTP to check and fix the problem because Our demo is still working fine and there is no customers has reported this problem so far. We Can Not Provide Fixing Guide Unless We Check What Problem Is. We sometimes asking customers for their FTP information and no one has ever complained us to reveal their private information. This is not only fixing the problems from customers, but also chance for us to review and complete the theme. Customer's trust and cooperate is very important for us.
i have sent you the screenshots you asked in your email and they are from your own demo assuming i have made a mistake in my installation.
I believe customers trust is gained after a successful cooperation, which means the customer pays for a product and expects to work properly as described.
If trust is the issue and i had to blindly trust you with my FTP credentials maybe you should also trust me with a trial of your products before i pay for them and i believe this is something that no theme developer is willing to do. And also if trust is the issue you shouldn't ask for screenshots and trust my word.
The reason we asked for the screenshots because we want to know where is the problem
Btw, please take a look here: http://demo.megadrupal.com/d7/md-phoenix/default/
We fixed the responsive and video youtube header problem already. if you are satisfied, we will send you the updated theme
after a quick look some of the responsive issues are gone.
But the menu is still messed up if you load the demo at landscape orientation (1024x768) and change orientation to portrait (768x1024).
And on iphone i still can't scroll on the menu.
We have just sent you the updated theme to your email