Sidebar Menu issue

mattypants's picture
mattypants
Fri, 04/07/2017 - 04:49
Sidebar Menu issue

Hi,

I'm trying to make my side menu work properly, but I'm having some difficulty. The screenshots below will best explain the problem.

Image title

Image title

Image title

Image title

But: after I browse around the site a bit, I start getting many warnings on some of the pages, all referencing common.inc - for example: 

• Warning: Invalid argument supplied for foreach() in element_children() (line 6541 of /home/mysite/public_html/d7/includes/common.inc).

The warnings only disappear after I change the sidebar menu setting back to 2nd level. Is there any way to have the 3rd level menu settings and not have the warnings?

khoa's picture
khoa
Fri, 04/07/2017 - 17:41

Please give me your website link and account. Thanks!

phuonght's picture
phuonght
Mon, 04/10/2017 - 05:16

We highly recommend you to create a new SIDEBAR menu instead of using MAIN MENU for SIDEBAR menu.

mattypants's picture
mattypants
Mon, 04/10/2017 - 08:57

Ok. thanks. 

Please explain how, or send me link to documentation for this. Is Sidebar menu a seperate module? Sorry, I don't understand.

thanks,

-Matt

phuonght's picture
phuonght
Tue, 04/11/2017 - 04:14

We mean that you can go to admin/structure/menu, create a menu named "SIDEBAR MENU". 
Then edit BLOCK SIDEBAR MENU(admin/structure/block/manage/menu_block/1/configure), section "MENU", select new menu. 

mattypants's picture
mattypants
Tue, 04/11/2017 - 08:15

I did what you said, and now I have this. Why?

Also, can you tell me WHY menu block gives me problems when I use main menu to create side menu? I thought this is what menu block module is for.

Image title

thanks,

-Matt

phuonght's picture
phuonght
Wed, 04/12/2017 - 06:09
mattypants's picture
mattypants
Wed, 04/12/2017 - 16:41

The link above is to a thread I started last year, and I didn't understand. The last comment to me was that I figure it out myself :/

phuonght's picture
phuonght
Wed, 04/12/2017 - 22:19

It is the same problem at your comment #5 in above and our developer answered at his comment #18.

mattypants's picture
mattypants
Wed, 04/12/2017 - 23:30

I still don't understand the answers in that thread, just as I didn't understand it last year, when I originally asked it. I was basically told 'too bad, go figure it out by yourself'.

I will look at those explanations again tomorrow morning to try to understand, but please be patient. I know that your first language is not english, and that you are trying to answer all questions in your support forum, but please understand that sometimes the explanations aren't worded in the best way - it makes understanding what you and Khoa say sometimes difficult to interpret. If I don't understand an explanation, please try to be patient, just as I am beign as well :)

I'll re-read everthing again tomorrow, but I have a feeling I will be reformulating my question step by step.

thanks,

-Matt

phuonght's picture
phuonght
Thu, 04/13/2017 - 03:59

I think sidebar menu will not work on any page that page link is not added to menu. 

When you add your sidebar menu to page, example: "Support" page, you need to add "Support" to menu also. If "Support" does not exit in menu, you will get errors as above screenshot.

mattypants's picture
mattypants
Thu, 04/13/2017 - 23:03

Ok, I think I understand what you're saying:

If the hierarchy of the website is

• Cars

• Red cars

• Blue cars

• Green cars

• Yellow cars

then you're saying that in the side menu of the Main 'Cars' page, I need to have in the side menu, like this:

• Cars

• Red cars

• Blue cars

• Green cars

• Yellow cars

But it makes no sense to have 'Cars' in that side menu, since it should be only the child pages of Cars. Do you agree?

thanks for the explanation,

-Matt

phuonght's picture
phuonght
Thu, 04/13/2017 - 23:40

We use module https://www.drupal.org/project/menu_block for sidebar menu. You can please download and test it in a fresh drupal site to see how it works.

It is a contrib module so we can not make any customization. If you do not like this module, you can uninstall and find another one that works better. 

Have More Idea?

We are here to build your website!

No Universal solution fits all special business requirements. Our experienced team is ready with ideas and state-of-the-art technical solutions to consult the best solution within your budget.